Thursday, January 4 - PCDC Reorganization Caucus
Pursuant to the authority provided by the Virginia Democratic Party Plan, the Page County Democratic Committee (PCDC) hereby calls an assembled caucus beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 4, 2018. In the event that the caucus cannot be held due to inclement weather, the date of January 6, 2008 will be the alternate date, observing the same parameters as outlined below. The caucus will be held at the VFW Post 621, (218 Veterans Lane), Luray, VA.
All appropriate provisions of the Virginia Democratic Party Plan ("State Party Plan"), as amended, and the Bylaws ("Bylaws") of the PCDC are incorporated into this Call by reference and made a part hereof.
The purpose of the caucus will be to elect the members and officers of the Page County Democratic Committee for 2018 and 2019. There is no charge for those wishing to attend and vote at the caucus.
Each person seeking to become an officer of the PCDC shall contact Tom Ford, Chair of the PCDC, no later than 6:00 pm on Tuesday December 26, 2017 via email at email@example.com or by mail to PCDC c/o Tom Ford, 1 East Ridge Lane, Luray, VA 22835. In the event that no person(s) declares their intent to become and officer, nominations will be taken from the floor.
Officers are: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
The PCDC shall provide notice of this caucus by placement of a general notice of the caucus, including the caucus time, date and location along with the call to caucus on the PCDC website, by email notification to the members of the PCDC and other reasonable means.
Doors to the caucus will open at 6:30 p.m. for check in. Any person attending the caucus, before participating in that caucus, shall sign a standardized Caucus Participation Form stating that he or she is a Democrat, does not intend to support any candidate who is opposed to a Democratic nominee in the ensuing general election, believes in the principles of the Democratic Party, is a registered voter in such district or county or town, and has filed a membership form (membership dues are voluntary). All current (existing) members will be re-certified at this meeting and do not need to submit a form. All forms will be present at the caucus. Caucus Participation Forms and Membership Forms must be filled out at the caucus prior to participation in the caucus. At 7:00 p.m. the doors to the caucus will be closed and no person may complete a form and participate in the caucus after that time, with the exception of those persons in line at 7:00 p.m.
For further information and for anyone interested in running for office please contact Tom Ford, Chairman of the Page County Democratic Committee at 540-272-4264.
The Page County Democratic Committee Reorganization Caucus Rules
1. The doors of the caucus room will open and the certification process will begin at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday January 4, 2018. The Temporary Chair of the Caucus (the current chair) will identify an official clock. This clock will be used for all timekeeping.
2. The doors to the caucus meeting room will be closed promptly at 7 p.m. A five minute warning will be issued by the Temporary Chair at 6:55 p.m. Persons standing in line to complete a Caucus Participation Form at the time the doors close will be allowed to complete their forms and participate in the caucus. Caucus forms may be completed inside the caucus venue if the temporary chair determines that it can be accomplished in good order and without compromising the process.
3. The Credentials Committee will be responsible for checking in caucus participants. Every person who participates in the caucus must complete a Caucus Participation Form and sign a statement that says that he or she is a Democrat, is a registered voter of the county, will support Democratic candidates and believes in the principles of the Democratic Party.
4. The caucus will be called to order by the temporary chair.
5. Rules will be adopted for the caucus.
6. The next order of business shall be the election of a permanent chair.
7. The permanent chair shall appoint the permanent caucus secretary.
8. The chair shall call upon the Credentials Committee for a report of the number of credentialed participants in the caucus.
9. The chair or co-chair of the Rules Committee will make a report on the process for electing committee members and officers.
10. The existing chairperson of each electoral district in Page County shall convene a caucus at the time of and immediately prior to the elections of the County Committee, at the mass meeting to nominate the number of committee members to which the district is entitled.
a. Each district shall be entitled to nominate no more than twenty (20) members. There shall be no limit on the number of alternative members that may be nominated or elected.
b. Only persons who are registered voters in the district from which the caucus is being held may participate and vote for committee nominees.
c. The existing district chairperson shall place in nomination the nominees of the caucus. Additional nominations may be made from the floor. In case there are more nominees than positions available, names shall be voted on individually in the order nominated and the first number of members equaling the number of authorized receiving a majority vote shall be elected.
d. District nominees shall be elected to membership in their district by vote of the whole mass meeting.
e. The members of the Page County Democratic Committee shall consist of all members elected to each electoral district committee in Page County.
11. Participants will then nominate and elect by voice vote the chair, vice chair, secretary, and treasurer.
Election of Page County Democratic Committee Officers:
The officers of the Committee shall be elected immediately following the reorganization meeting. Candidates will be nominated from the floor and may have a total of five minutes for themselves or others to advocate their candidacy. Voting shall be by secret, written ballot of the members present. In the event of a tie, the vote shall be retaken by secret written ballot. If there is still a tie, a coin shall be tossed to determine the winner. If just one candidate is nominated for an office, voting will take place by acclamation.
12. If a position is contested, a vote by secret ballot will be held at the request of any candidate for the position.
13. Tie votes will be decided by the flip of a coin.
14. Remarks and presentations by the new chair.
Page County Democrats have a long tradition of standing strong in local, state and national elections and issues. We meet the first Thursday of every Month at 7pm. Location switches between Shenandoah and Luray. Contact Tom Ford, Chairman, for specific info. We'd love to have you!
Problems or questions about this site? Contact the webmaster